Sunday, October 9, 2011

blog 10

I didn’t think that the information was that credible. It lacked depth, it only showed where the places are in the world and that it only told way these places are considered to be black neighborhoods. I think it was very racist because there were all considered to be bad places to live. I live in a black suburb and it’s the safest place to live to me. There are no gangs and no murders in every other black community it seems that there not as safe. I think it’s because of the news. They spread the word that its unsafe to live near blacks because were such dangerous people. And I think I have just answered my own question. Now wonder people are afraid of me I’m big and black. Just joking. But in America this is my reality. I have to know where I am and what I say when I’m in public because I am a black man. I know it seems harsh but that is my reality. I just wish that one day I can be normal for a change and not worry about how people look at me when I’m walking down the street. But beside the point I think that the community itself should change the way we look at black people. Not all of us are evil just some of the time.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really interesting post because you explore one thing that is a really big issue. The media does portray African American communities in a negative way and it cause misconceptions and stereotypes to be perpetuated. I have friends that are afraid of neighborhoods that are predominately black who haven't even been there, and I find those communities to be really interesting because the residents band together to make changes.

    Did you find any groups like this when you were doing research? I know, I have seen them and I think they are newsworthy because they are wonderful groups looking to bring positive changes to city communities.

    ReplyDelete